Sunday, June 17, 2012

Who's Right? - Driving / Parking Scenarios

Who has the right of way in this driving scenario?


My husband and I have different opinions about who has the right of way in a certain driving scenario. I would like to get your opinion (Not that I would ever go to my husband saying, "See, I was right. My readers say so...)

See my delightful, artist quality sketch of the following driving scenario:



Car A wants to turn right heading north. Car B also wants to head north. It will be a left turn for Car B. Car A has a yield sign at the intersection. Car B is in a left turn lane.

Now, we both agree on this much. If the light is red and no cars are coming from the N/S, Car A has the right of way. Car B definitely shouldn't be turning left on red.

If the light is green, and there is a left turn arrow that is also green Car B has the right of way (Car A should be looking at a red light with a yield sign). - True or False?

If the light is green, but Car B does not have a green arrow (therefore Car A should also have a green light and their yield sign) Car A has the right of way. - True or False?

We drive through an intersection just like this regularly. I really do want to know the answer to the true/false questions because just as much as I feel I'm right about my interpretation, my husband feels he's right about the opposite.

Parking Lot Irritation - Am I right to be irritated in this situation?


Our school's driveway/parking lot situation is a horseshoe (again, see amazing diagram). I'll admit, there are no signs indicating that the driveway is one-way. However, I get irritated whenever someone drives in the opposite direction from the arrows I've drawn in. Somehow, I feel like it is just understood that this is a one-way horseshoe. Is that just me? Am I grumbling at people in my mind without justification or do you see this as an obviously one-way situation as well?

8 comments:

  1. If the light is green, and there is a left turn arrow that is also green Car B has the right of way (Car A should be looking at a red light with a yield sign). - True

    If the light is green, but Car B does not have a green arrow (therefore Car A should also have a green light and their yield sign) Car A has the right of way. False In my opinion Car B has the right of way because of the yield sign for Car A. Yield means others have the right of way. If it weren't for the yield sign, then Car A would have the right of way.

    I see the parking lot as one way as well. Why would one want to go the opposite way when picking up kids?! Follow the crowd in this case.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just a random reader, but also a "rules of the road" enthusiast. I think the real issue here is this: why is there a yield sign at an intersection with a stoplight? There should never be any ambiguity when there is a stoplight, so there is no need for a yield sign. I think that both of your situations are impossible to answer because there are no rules regarding whether a yield sign or a stoplight takes precedent. Just my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely correct, I have asked police about just this situation, I have the green left turn signal, opposite site is red with the right to turn if there is no oncoming traffic.

    Now try this one...I have green left turn arrow...2 lanes to turn into. I have the right to go into either of the lanes as I have the right away with the green turn left arrows!

    Right turns on red are allowed ONLY if there is no oncoming traffic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments guys. I will discuss the results of my reader poll with my husband.

    And just this morning, someone was going the "wrong way" when I was leaving the school parking lot. I thought of this post as I grumbled to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad's a bus driver and grilled us extensively before we were allowed to drive. AND we both have CDLs now. You are correct, Car B would have to yield to Car A. And the second scenario, Car A must yield due to oncoming traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the first scenario, with the green left arrow, Car B certainly has the right-of-way. Car A has a yield sign, and needs to yield the right-of-way. (See M.R.S. 304.351.1(2b), 300.280, & 300.155 (1b) ) In the second scenario (assuming there is no signage indicating a left on green arrow only), Car A has the right-of-way (see M.R.S. 304.351.3 & 304.281.1(1a)). As both must yield to traffic, the right-of-way belongs to the person not turning left.

    The parking lot is private property, I assume. Every man/woman for him/herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your contribution and excellent citations, as always. :-)

      Delete

  7. You have discussed an interesting topic that everybody should know. Very well explained with examples. I have found a similar
    websitelight box sign visit the site to know more about sinking.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics